A new school year can be hard for any child, especially children who have experienced trauma. Ongoing stress changes a child’s brain. This can lead to problems in learning, behavior, and physical and mental health. These behaviors may seem impossible to stop or avoid.
Chosen’s team can assist you in gaining a new understanding and build stronger, more meaningful connections. Lean into our Back to School Series to set your child up for a successful school year.
Let Chosen help you get the conversation started this school year:
Ask these questions over dinner or during your back to school shopping sessions.
- What is one thing you are looking forward to about this new school year?
- What teacher are you most excited to see again? What makes them a great teacher?
- What is a favorite memory you have of our summer?
- What do you think about as you to fall asleep at night? Any worries about this new school year?
- How can I best support you this year?
- What do I do that helps you feel safe? Is there anything I do that makes you feel sad or anxious?
- Is there anything else you want to talk about?
Here’s what you’ll need:
1. Print Contract / Bookmark Webpage
2. Listen to their concern
3. Sense of humor and supportive (but not overbearing) guidance